Wootton Hall – a Palladian masterpiece …
First built in 1637 Wotton Hall is one of the first Italian Renaissance buildings to have been built in the UK.
It is built in a Palladian style with many large rectangular windows and a prominent frontage motif.
The site originally housed an Elizabethan House and parts of this can still be seen – largely in the existing out-buildings.
It was built by Lord Carrington for his marriage to Lady Anne Herbert who brought with her a massive dowry.
Today, Wootton Hall is a Grade II Listed Building and has been since 6th February 1952.
The modern Hall …
Set in 50 acres of parkland with sheep roaming freely and the River Alne running through it there is an impressive weir in one corner of the grounds under the ancient stone bridge that allows the A3400 to pass over the river.
At the end of World War II the Wootton Hall was in a seriously dilapidated condition and was nearly marked for complete demolition.
Today there is a memorial to, ‘The Glorious Dead – 1914-1918,’ at the head of the drive leading up to the hall.
However, it was saved by Bill Allen in 1958 and his company Allen’s Caravans turned the hall into a residential park – a development that revitalised the hall and the community around it.
The grounds contain a Bowling Green, Coarse Fishing and access to the many country walks in all directions.
See their website here.