Author Archives yewtree

8th October 2014

Featured Businesses at Yew Tree Farm …

Featured Businesses …

Below are just three of the businesses that currently trade out of our Shopping Village for the full low down simply follow the links from our Home Page.

A 10,000 sq/ft Garden Furniture Showroom …

Featured Businesses The garden Furniture Centre

The first of our featured businesses is The Garden Furniture Centre Specialise in the sale of Teak and rattan Furniture for both inside and outside the home. They have a massive unit at Yew Tree Farm that displays a selection of products from their on line catalogue. Look out for the funky Garden Ornaments and Luxury Gazebo’s.

Many of their items of Reclaimed Teak Furniture are stunning and are considered 20th century antiques.

See their website HERE. Or call them on 01564 793652.

The Cowshed Cafe …

The Cowshed Cafe

The second of our featured businesses …

With a reputation for selling home cooked fresh food of the highest quality The Cowshed has become a very popular place for people to meet, eat and greet. From full courses to light snacks like all butter scones with jam and cream they cater for all occasions.

There award winning coffee has to be tried and they have recently been licensed to sell alcoholic beverages and have invested in a lovely local selection here.

It’s service with a smile in very relaxed environment.

See their menu HERE. Or call to arrange a booking on 01564792979.

Le Grenier …

Le Grenier French Antiques

Specialist suppliers of Antique French Furniture.

Joyce Ellis has many years experience in the restoration of painted furniture – in particular pen work.

A passion for fine wood and a strong connection with the south of France provide the essential elements of the business that specialises in fine and country items of furniture.

See their website HERE. Or call them on 01564 795401 / 07712 126048.

Stay tuned for next months featured businesses …

facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail Read More
6th May 2014

The Saxon Sanctuary

Saxon Sanctuary Sign

St Peter’s Church – a Saxon Sanctuary …

As Warwickshire’s oldest church the site of St Peter’s Church dates back to between 723 and 736 when the King of Mercia, Aethelbald gave Aethelric of the Hwicce 2000 acres of land for a monastic settlement of Benedictine Monks at what was then called ‘Wudu Tun.’

By the mid-9th Century there was a stone minster church on the site surrounded by a thriving monastic community.

This stone minster – or Saxon Sanctuary – held sway for around 200 years.

St Peters Church at Wootton Wawen

The Saxon demise …

By the early Norman period this Saxon Monastery was gone and the church was dedicated to St Peter.

The Chancel of St Peter’s was built in the 1130’s to act as a chapel and then in 1443 Henry VI confiscated the priory at Wootton and transferred it to King’s College, Cambridge. The college’s various influences are responsible for the church we see on the site today.

The Altar in the Sanctuary

St Peter’s Church – a Saxon Sanctuary …

Chained Library:

This located along one side of the South Aisle to the Chancel and contains a number of ancient texts from the 16th and 17th Centuries including a ‘Breeches Bible’ and a ‘Black Letter Bible’ in Gothic script.

The West Wall:

This contains a late Saxon or early Norman door flanked by 18th Century fluted wooden columns.

On either side of the window above the door are projecting carved heads that depict Edward III and Queen Phillipa.

North East Wall:

Here you find the altar tomb of Francis Smith, (d. 1605). This takes up the entire wall and is topped with a carving of the deceased in a reclining position.

These are just a few of the wonderful historic highlights contained within this ancient building – we strongly suggest paying it a visit yourself to take in its full historic splendour.

To see the full low-down visit the Church Website.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail Read More
6th May 2014

Wootton Hall

Wotton Hall a Palladian masterpiece

Wootton Hall – a Palladian masterpiece …

First built in 1637 Wotton Hall is one of the first Italian Renaissance buildings to have been built in the UK.

It is built in a Palladian style with many large rectangular windows and a prominent frontage motif.

The site originally housed an Elizabethan House and parts of this can still be seen – largely in the existing out-buildings.

It was built by Lord Carrington for his marriage to Lady Anne Herbert who brought with her a massive dowry.

Today, Wootton Hall is a Grade II Listed Building and has been since 6th February 1952.

Wootton Hall today

The modern Hall …

Set in 50 acres of parkland with sheep roaming freely and the River Alne running through it there is an impressive weir in one corner of the grounds under the ancient stone bridge that allows the A3400 to pass over the river.

At the end of World War II the Wootton Hall was in a seriously dilapidated condition and was nearly marked for complete demolition.

Today there is a memorial to, ‘The Glorious Dead – 1914-1918,’ at the head of the drive leading up to the hall.

However, it was saved by Bill Allen in 1958 and his company Allen’s Caravans turned the hall into a residential park – a development that revitalised the hall and the community around it.

The grounds contain a Bowling Green, Coarse Fishing and access to the many country walks in all directions.

See their website here.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail Read More
6th May 2014

Yew Tree History

The History of Yew Tree Farm …

The Church next to the farm


In recent history the Haimes family came to Yew Tree Farm amongst the melting snows of the bitter winter of 1947.

The buildings around the farmyard then housed all the various animals from pigs, rabbits,calves, horses and the milking parlour to milk the herd of jersey cows.

The brick and tile construction of the traditional farmyard was built in a square to keep the wind from the animals in the buildings, the manure heap would have been in the middle of the farmyard.

As the years passed by farming methods changed and the animals tended to be kept in bigger barns and the brick and tile buildings around the farmyard became somewhat redundant.

The passing of an era …

An historical photo at Yew Tree Farm



In 1989 we opened The Farm shop and then over a period of several years we set about renovating the rest of the farmyard using our own oak from the woodland on the farm.

The buildings have been tastefully converted retaining many of the original features, and all the units are named after what the original use would have been like The Old Dairy, The Pig Sties and The Milking Parlour.

Today Yew Tree Farm is still very much a working farm but moved to being mainly an arable farm. On the farm we grow mainly Wheat, Barley and Oil Seed Rape.

The buildings that over the years used to be home to the animals are now home to independent craft and retail units offering a wide range of unique products from around the world.

We look forward to welcoming you to our courtyard shopping village in our lovely farmyard.

The Log Store next to the court yard

facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail Read More
Page 2 of 41234
  • Our Address

    • Yew Tree Farm Shopping Village
    • Pettiford Lane
    • Wootton Wawen
    • West Midlands
    • B95 6BY
    • Tel: 01564 792701
  • Find Us

  • The Yew Tree Social

  • Newsletter